Information on benefits

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP), replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA). It is a benefit for people with ill health or a disability disabled people under 65years. To get PIP, you must have long-term difficulty with daily living or getting around. PIP has two parts, the care component and the mobility component. The care component is paid at two rates depending on how often and how much you need care. The mobility component is paid at two rates, depending on how much difficulty you have with mobility issues Depending on your needs, you may get one component, or both together. This benefit is usually paid every 4 weeks and is tax free. You can claim by post or by phone.

Click here for a simple PowerPoint presentation from the Department of Work and Pensions on how to claim PIP.

Click here for a useful page from Citizen’s Advice on PIP, including a video from the DWP.

For more information go to or to apply by phone call 0800 917 2222

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit for people on a low income to help them pay their rent. You may be able to get Housing Benefit if you are on other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income. You cannot get Housing Benefit to help with the costs of a mortgage or home loan. If you are an owner-occupier, you may be able to get help with your mortgage interest through Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit.
For more information go to

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Income Related Employment Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for people who:

  • can’t work because of sickness or disability, and
  • Aren’t getting Statutory Sick Pay.

There are two types of ESA:

  • contributory ESA, which you can get if you have paid enough national insurance contributions
  • income-related ESA which is paid if your income and capital are low enough

You may be able to get both contributory ESA and income-related ESA, depending on your circumstances. For both types of ESA, you will usually have to have various tests to confirm that you have limited capability for work. In some circumstances, you can only get contributory ESA for up to 365 days.
For most new claims, ESA replaces Incapacity Benefit and also Income Support for people getting it because they can’t work due to sickness or disability. If you are already getting Incapacity Benefit or Income Support because of sickness or disability, you can continue on that benefit, although your claim will be converted into ESA at some point.
For more information go to

Job seekers allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is a benefit for people who are unemployed but capable of work. To get Jobseeker’s Allowance you also have to meet several other conditions, which include showing that you are looking for work.
For more information go to

Cold weather payments

Cold weather payments is a scheme that will pay you a certain amount of money to help with energy costs through the cold weather. The cold weather payment is paid to someone who is on a low income or no income and will be paid out after a 7 day period of the temperature being zero degrees Celsius or below. You are still eligible for cold weather payments even if you claim some benefits these are: pension credits, income support, job seekers allowance and income related employment support allowance.

Direct payments

Direct payments from social services are payments made to you or the person you’re looking after so that you can buy care services for yourself.

Direct payments aim to give you more flexibility in how your services are provided. By giving you money instead of social care services, you have greater choice and control over your life and are able to make your own decisions about how your care is delivered.

Disability person’s allowance

Disability persons allowance is not means tested. Therefore you do not need to provide information about your income and savings to be eligible. It is an entitlement to a 25 per cent reduction in rates for any household where both the following criteria are met:

  • a person with a disability lives
  • where the property has been adapted or has additional facilities added
  • There must be a clear link between how the property has been adapted and the disability or the Disabled Persons Allowance (DPA) will not be paid.

Incapacity benefit

You can’t normally make a new claim for Incapacity Benefit after 27 October 2008. You will normally have to claim Employment and Support Allowance instead. However, in some unusual circumstances, you might still be able to make a new claim for Incapacity Benefit if you are getting Income Support on grounds of disability. The normal conditions for getting Incapacity Benefit would still apply. Incapacity Benefit is paid at different rates, depending on how long someone has been getting it. Lower rate short-term Incapacity Benefit is paid for the first 196 days of sickness and is not taxable. Higher rate short-term Incapacity Benefit is paid for the next six months and long-term Incapacity Benefit is paid after a year. You can get extra money if you have dependants.

Mobility allowance

Mobility allowance is a component of the disability living allowance (DLA) this component is to help you get about. The mobility allowance comes in Lower rate or Higher rate, The lower rate is given to people who need guidance or supervision outdoors and the Higher rate is given to those who have any other, more severe walking problems. Depending on what rate of mobility allowance you get you may be able to use the benefit for a Motability car.

For help and support with applying for Benefits contact your local Citizen’s Advice service

Abington, Didcot, Henley, RAF Benson, Thame, Wallingford: 0300 3309 042

Banbury, Bicester, Brackley, Kidlington: 0300 3309 037

Chipping Norton, RAF Brize Norton, Witney: 0300 3309 049

Oxford: 03444 111 444