Information on Mental Health and Wellbeing
Mental health problems can be more common in people with autism than in neurotypicals. Conditions such as anxiety, depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) can be prevalent.
Talking Space Plus is a free NHS service and offer talking therapies. You can self-refer to the service. They offer talking therapies for Depression/Low Mood, Anxiety, Panic, Social Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Health Anxiety, Phobias, Insomnia, Low Self Esteem, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Oxfordshire Mind offers a variety of services. In Oxfordshire they offer groups and workshops, peer support, information, a benefits service and housing. https://www.oxfordshiremind.org.uk/what-we-do/
The national Mind website has a lot of information about mental health conditions and some suggested coping strategies. https://www.mind.org.uk/
Meditation has been shown to help people stress less, focus more and even sleep better. Paying more attention to the present moment – to your own thoughts and feelings, and to the world around you – can improve your mental wellbeing. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/
Headspace is meditation app to help practice mindfulness meditation. The first 10 sessions are free then there is a subscription cost. https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app
There are lots of free mindful mediation videos on YouTube.
Mental Health Services
- Mental Health Services List
- Mental Health flow chart
- Meltdowns- https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/meltdowns.aspx
- Royal College of General Practice Autism Toolkit – http://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/toolkits/asd-toolkit.aspx
- Oxfordshire Mind run courses, workshops and peer support https://www.oxfordshiremind.org.uk/
- Talkingspace Plus, Talking therapy to help with anxiety and depression https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/talkingspaceplus/
For information on mental health and wellbeing please click on the links under the section titles for more information.